34, or MG34, was designed by Heinrich Vollmer from Mauser Werke, and was first
in service in 1934. It was used as the main infantry machine gun during the early
years of the war and continued to be used as the main machine gun armament, for
armoured fighting vehicles panzers, armoured cars, tracks etc. The Luftwaffe also
made great use of the MG34.
The Maschinengewehr 1942, or MG42 was developed
as a replacement for the MG34. The MG42, was designed to be easily manufactured
using stamped parts. However, not enough could be produced to supply all the infantry
units that required the MG42. Also with a simplified production methods. The cost
of making the MG42 were much much lower than the MG34. The MG42 was an extremely
reliable machine gun, the only real problems suffered by the MG42, was overheating
due to the incredible rate of fire, and of course enormous amounts of ammunition
were used up. The MG42 could achieve 1200 rpm. The other remarkable aspect was
the MG42 ability to fire single shots when required. This machine gun acquired
quite a reputation amongst Allied forces, who nicknamed it Hitler's Buzzsaw.
German Military Vehicles.
Armoured Fighting Vehicles of Germany World War II.
Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World Two.
For a complete list of sources