1936A class destroyers or Narvik class destroyers, as they were recognised by
the Allies in World War 2, were a group of eight destroyers planned to carry new
15 cm guns in single turrets with a twin turret at the bow. The twin mountings
were not assembled in time and so singles were initially used, and the twins fitted
subsequently, (only to four ships Z-23, Z-24, Z-25, and Z-29). Anti aircraft armament
was enhanced. Despite reusing previous ship designs as a foundation, with alterations
to improve seaworthiness, the ships were wet in heavy seas, particularly fitted
with heavy turrets. After much exertion, the issue was traced to a newly designed
stern. However, this problem was moderately offset by the fact that the twin mount
was thoroughly enclosed and had a high maximum elevation, permitting limited use
against aircraft. These ships went back to the old German practice of assigning
torpedo ships numbers instead of names. Four made it through the war.
The ships in this class were called.
Z-23, Z-24, Z-25, Z-26, Z-27, Z-28
Z-29, and Z-30.
Warships, 1815-1945: Major Surface Vessels.
Warships, 1815-1945: U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels.
German warships of the Second World War.
For a complete list of sources