17 January 1940 to 1945
29 July 1939
17 January 1940
1935/39 Type Minesweeper/Minensuchboot
M 1 Class
682 tons standard 874 tons full load
2 × Lentz uniform expansion engines
producing up to 3,200 shp
5,000 nautical miles at 10 knots
90 men and officers
2 × 10.5 cm L/45
carried 480 rounds
2 × 3.7 cm L/83 SK C/30
carried 3000 rounds
2 × 2 cm MG L/65 C/30
carried 4000 rounds
4 × 2 cm MG L/65 C/30 after 1942
carried 6000 rounds
The M 17 Minesweeper (Minensuchboot) was built in the 1940s
shipyard located in Stettin, Germany as a
minesweeper or escort vessel for the Kriegsmarine.
Construction was longitudinal and ransverse frame of steel construction,
which was partly welded, this vessel also had twelve watertight
compartments and a double bottom. The superstructure, Bridge
etc was made from light alloys. The propulsion system installed
in these vessels was the two Lentz uniform expansion engines.
And when used as minesweepers the Kabel Fern Raum Gerät
(KFRG) system was employed, which used generators producing
60 V, 20 kW to power the magnetic sweeping gear.
This vessel went on to serve in the 3. Minensuchflottille during World
17 January 1940
The Minesweeper M 17 is commissioned.
The Minesweeper M 17 becomes operational with the 3. Minensuchflottille.
22 August 1944
The Minesweeper M 17 is removed from active service.
15 November 1945
The Minesweeper M 17 is seized as a prize of war by the Russians.
The Minesweeper M 17 is transferred to the Black Sea fleet
as a T 9 class minesweeper.
German Warships, 1815-1945: Major Surface Vessels.
German Warships, 1815-1945: U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels.
German warships of the Second World War.
For a complete list of sources