19 March 1940 to
16 September 1939
19 March 1940
1935/39 Type Minesweeper/Minensuchboot
M 1 Class
682 tons standard 874 tons full load
2 × Lentz uniform expansion engines
producing up to 3,200 shp
5,000 nautical miles at 10 knots
90 men and officers
2 × 10.5 cm L/45
carried 480 rounds
2 × 3.7 cm L/83 SK C/30
carried 3000 rounds
2 × 2 cm MG L/65 C/30
carried 4000 rounds
4 × 2 cm MG L/65 C/30 after 1942
carried 6000 rounds
The M 18 Minesweeper (Minensuchboot) was built in the 1940s
shipyard located in Stettin, Germany as a
minesweeper or escort vessel for the Kriegsmarine.
Construction was longitudinal and ransverse frame of steel construction,
which was partly welded, this vessel also had twelve watertight
compartments and a double bottom. The superstructure, Bridge
etc was made from light alloys. The propulsion system installed
in these vessels was the two Lentz uniform expansion engines.
And when used as minesweepers the Kabel Fern Raum Gerät
(KFRG) system was employed, which used generators producing
60 V, 20 kW to power the magnetic sweeping gear.
This vessel went on to serve in the 3. Minensuchflottille during World
19 March 1940
The Minesweeper M 18 is commissioned.
The Minesweeper M 18 becomes operational with the 3. Minensuchflottille.
The Minesweeper M 18 is scuttled whilst repair work was being
carried out at Deutsche
German Warships, 1815-1945: Major Surface Vessels.
German Warships, 1815-1945: U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels.
German warships of the Second World War.
For a complete list of sources