or Räumboote in German were a group of General purpose motor launches built
for the Kriegsmarine throughout World War II.
The Kriegsmarine used
them in every theatre of war throughout the world. These boats had many uses including
convoy escort, coastal patrol, minesweeping, minelaying and the rescue of air
crews. These vessels were manufactured at the following naval dockyards.
, Lemwerder Schlichting-Werft
Lürssen Werft GmbH & Co
, Vegesack Burmester
The surviving R-boats, of which there were approximately
140, ended up being distributed amongst the allies. Some were used by the United
States Labour Service
mine sweeping Administration
(GMSA) and the German
Mine Sweeping Formation Cuxhaven
(MRVC) to clear mines. Twenty four boats
were transferred back to the post-war German Federal Navy (Bundesmarine) in 1956.
They saw service right into the late 1960's. For extra maneuverability,
the use of Voith Schneider Propellers was used on some boats.
Warships, 1815-1945: Major Surface Vessels.
Warships, 1815-1945: U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels.
German warships of the Second World War.
For a complete list of sources