1944 to 22 December 1953
31 August 1944
1937-43 Type R-boat/Räumboot
140 tons standard 148 tons full load
2 × MWM RS 127 Su 6 × cylinder
4 stroke diesel engines producing up to 2,550 ehp
2 × Voith-Schneider
1,000 nautical miles at 15 knots
40 men and officers
1 × 3.7 cm L/83 SK C/30
carried 1000 rounds
6 × 2 cm MG L/65 C/30
carried 2000 rounds
The R253 R-boat (Räumboot) was built in the 1940s by Burmester
shipyard located in Swinemünde, Germany as a minesweeper or escort vessel for the Kriegsmarine.
And after the surrender of Germany was employed in the German Mine Sweeping Administration
(GMSA) which was controlled
by the allies.
The R-boat R253 is commissioned.
The R-boat R253 serves with the German Mine Sweeping Administration
27 November 1947
The R-boat R253 is seized as a prize of war by the USA.
16 June 1948
The R-boat R253 is transferred to W Kirchner of Minden, as
the motor vessel Silesia.
22 December 1953
The Silesia is transferred to A Thyselius of Bremen, for breaking
up and scrapping.
German Warships, 1815-1945: Major Surface Vessels.
German Warships, 1815-1945: U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels.
German warships of the Second World War.
For a complete list of sources